Friday, January 11, 2008

I was home alone with the parrots the other day (I swear it almost seems like I'm single this month!) Daphne, Max, Beeps, and Calypso were in the kitchen with me, Jeff Saturday was in his recovery cage, and Rocky was alone in the living room. I had brought him in the kitchen with us, but he decided to wander back into the living room to be alone.

Suddenly, I realized that there were strange laughing, shrieking, and moaning sounds coming from the living room. I knew they were Rocky's happy sounds, and I wondered what he was doing that made him so happy.

He had climbed up onto our couch and was playing with the blanket that was there. He was burrowing under the blanket and doing other strange things. I played with him for about 10 minutes, covering him up to shrieks of happiness, calling him to come out, and then covering him again, etc. I finally decided to take a video, which didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but you can still get the idea.

On a different topic, Max's jealousy is starting to drive us crazy! She has an extreme jealousy of Beeps, which manifests itself in her buzzing him or buzzing us when we're holding him. She's recently had to go inside her cage when I'm training Beeps (otherwise he has to be on the lookout so he can duck in time for her buzzes and doesn't concentrate on what he's doing.)

We're trying a bunch of different things to calm the jealousy down, but think that a lot of it is just her inherent nature, possibly made worse by her hormonal issues right now. What is so bizarre is that she is not at all jealous of Calypso. They are both caiques! I'm hoping her jealousy starts to go away soon as we're hoping to have another 25 years or so with Beeps and that will be a long time if the animosity continues!

No comments: