Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sometimes the packaging is as fun as the toys...

We got a package in the mail yesterday, full of toys and toy-making supplies. Thomas and I are feeling a bit guilty that we're leaving for a week's vacation, and want to make sure that there are plenty of things to keep the parrots occupied while we're gone.

I opened the package and there were large sheets of tissue paper in there to help keep the contents from moving around. I placed a sheet or two on top of everyone's cage, and all of the bigger birds played with it. Here is a shot of Beeps on his back, playing with the paper.

And here is a video of him, attacking it in true caique fashion:

At the end of the video, you can hear Rocky start to scream and then Beeps stops playing. Rocky thought it should be dinner time (I came home from work a couple of hours earlier than normal, so he wanted to eat dinner at 3:30 instead of 5:30). Here is a picture of him in mid-scream. It's a bit blurry because I had to zoom to get the shot -- had I moved closer, he would have stopped screaming.
Here's Max, playing with the paper:
I took this video over the weekend. I love it because Thomas and Rocky are sharing their breakfast, in such a natural way. Thomas doesn't even have to look up when he makes the subtle move to offer some to Rocky. If you listen carefully, you can hear Rocky make one of his fake eating sounds, which means he likes the food. They are eating Bob's Red Mill Apple Cinnamon Grains cereal, so it's healthy for parrots.

No comments: