Thursday, May 29, 2008

Garden failure

Last month, I decided that the lizards would appreciate some edible flowers. They so enjoyed the dandelions and I wanted to give them more exotic flowers as well. I couldn't find any in the grocery stores near us, which meant that I would have to grow them.

Although things started out well enough, the picture here from mid-April shows the last day I had hopes of blooms.
The next day, all of the stalks fell over. Despite my best efforts, I had failed at growing flowers for my lizards.

Our community holds its farmers' market on Wednesdays, and Thomas got off of work early enough yesterday to go. He met a wonderful farmer that had listed edible flowers as something he had. Even though he was sold out, he had a few flowers on plants he was trying to sell. He cut off a few blooms for the lizards. This is Andreas enjoying the flower:

He also purchased some greens from this farmer, so we had a salad last night. Of course I had some help cleaning the lettuce.
Max found a post-it note I had on the side of the counter. Luckily I didn't need it anymore, so I let her destroy it. We keep our garbage can on the side of the counter, and when she was done with the note, she walked it over and threw it in the garbage.

I don't have a picture of this, but I got a little nip from Rocky lately. It's now a blood blister on my right middle finger (appropriate!) Last night I had him step up on my arm and we were going to find Thomas. He was so excited that he started leaning forward and flapping his wings, which caused him to lose his balance and fall from my arm. He reached out with his beak to grab on to anything he could -- and got my middle finger. I gently lowered him to the ground and he went off running to find his mate. I'm not counting this as a bite since it was unintentional and minor.

Also, Calypso is finally back to normal after our trip. He spent the morning in the kitchen with me. It took him four days this time. Hopefully that will continue to decrease as he realizes that we do return from our trips!

No comments: