Monday, September 22, 2008

Another weekend

This was the week where we got to pick up our fruit CSA, so here's a picture of the apples and pears we got. Delicious!
From our vegetable CSA, we got some green heirloom tomatoes. I was hesitant to try them because of the color (I know that's a strange reason), but they tasted very much like red tomatoes. I don't think I'd go out of my way to purchase them, but I'm glad I gave it a shot!
We also got cucumbers, so Max was happy about that.

Here is one of my latest favorites at the rescue. She was quite emaciated and near death when she was surrendered to the rescue where I volunteer. She's not yet up for adoption since we have to get her healthy again, but she's already made huge improvements. She has some balance and gripping issues that we hope will improve as her health returns.

She sat on my lap as I assembled toys for the shelter birds last weekend, supervising my knot-tying.

Despite her previous mistreatment, she has a wonderful personality. I'm hoping we can find her a home where she will be cherished as she deserves.
I didn't take any pictures, but my parents adopted a 25 year old cockatiel over the weekend. I am so in love with him! He also has a great personality. He loves whistling tunes (including many that he makes up himself) and wants to spend time with people, getting head pets. Cockatiels truly are fantastic little parrots and it make me sad how few realize their potential. According to a few Internet searches, the oldest confirmed cockatiel was around 35, so hopefully they will have a decade with this little treasure.
The apple winery was fantastic! We bought a case of cider and some bottles of wine. I still can't believe we'd never been there before!
Also, my vet called at 9:40 on Friday night. I'd been sleeping for almost an hour at that point, so I was worried that something was wrong with the phone rang (my family and friends know we go to bed ridiculously early so never call after 7:30 or so). He said that the bloodwork on Calypso and Stella came back, and was perfect. In fact, he said he'd never seen such great values on a plucking grey before. That gives me hope that perhaps she will allow her feathers to grow back in. But we'll still love her even if she doesn't!

4 comments:

Scritches.com said...

The blue and gold is so beautiful. I'm glad he's getting cared for.

And yeah, even though I'm prejudiced, I think cockatiels are great. Like Diane Grindol said once, "Cockatiels have all the qualities that people want in a parrot, only in a smaller package." (And their poops are a lot easier to deal with, too.)

I hope your parents have many, many years of happiness with their new friend.

Scritches.com said...

By the way, the very best bird list on the internet is Tiel Talk at http://www.birdsnways2.com/chats/ncs/

Your parents will find lots of kindred spirits on the list; everyone is friendly and welcoming of new folks and folks new and not so new to cockatiels. Well, if there's something you can't answer for them.

DweezelJazz said...

thank you for all the lovely posts! I've been catching up on reading them. I save them because I don't want to rush them.

Mary said...

BP -- thanks for the comment! She was very undernourished, but we think she'll be OK. It was one of those situations where we weren't sure she'd survive she was in such bad shape.

I totally agree on the tiels! Thomas keeps talking about how wonderful the one my parents just got is. But we are full right now. I guess we'll just have to visit more frequently :)

DJ -- thank you for the nice comment! What a nice thing to say :)