Monday, September 22, 2008

A strange series of phone calls

This is not parrot related in any way.

Sunday morning, I had just returned home from a 12-mile run. I called Thomas to let him know I was home, but he didn't answer. A few minutes later, the phone rang. Expecting it was Thomas who saw me on the caller ID, I picked up.

Phone Call #1:

Me: Hello

Voice on other end (Jamaican-type accent): Hello, this is Miss Cleo.

Me: I think you have the wrong number.

Miss Cleo: Do you have a significant other?

Me: Yes

Miss Cleo: Does he have arthritis (Note: Thomas does have arthritis)

Me: I think you have the wrong number. Goodbye!

The phone rings again. I don't pick up, fearing it's Miss Cleo. It's Thomas, so I pick up and ask him if he has anything to do with this. He denies all involvement.

The phone rings again. I pick up, thinking it's Thomas.

Phone Call #2:

Me: Hello?

Miss Cleo: Hello! This is Miss Cleo!

Me: I think you have the wrong number!

Miss Cleo: Did your significant other play high school football?

Me: No (even though he did)

Miss Cleo: Has your significant other ever been incarcerated?

Me: No! (That answer was true).

Miss Cleo: I can see in your moon card...

Me: Stop calling me! (Hang up).

The phone rings again. I don't pick up, and it's a hang up. Then it rings again. I don't pick up, but it's Thomas, so I get it off of the answering machine. Once again, he swears no involvement. It rings again. I think it's Thomas, so I pick up.

Phone Call #3:

Me: Hello?

Miss Cleo: What is your name or nickname?

Me: None of your business! Stop calling me! (Hang up)

The phone rings again. I don't pick up, but it's Thomas so I get it off of the answering machine, again. Then it rings again. Thinking it's Thomas, I pick up.

Phone Call #4:

Me: Hello?

Miss Cleo: Hi Mary! Marie! Mary! Marie!

Me: Stop calling me!!!!! (Hang up)

Then, I went into the shower with the parrots. I don't think I got any more calls since there weren't any hang-ups on the machine.

I don't know quite what to make of these strange calls. I assume that after a while, I would have been asked to push a few buttons to talk to someone "psychic" for a per-minute charge. Thomas was disappointed that I kept hanging up instead of taking it further.

I'm still not convinced that he's completely innocent. Is there a website where you can enter a few details about someone and get a "psychic" to call them? I could see him doing that, although he says he wouldn't want them calling us at home, so he wouldn't have done that.

I have a feeling Miss Cleo will be a part of our inside jokes for years to come.

Update: Thomas finally admitted he was behind these calls!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is soooooooooo funny!!! I really needed that laugh today!