Monday, April 13, 2009

Sparrow update

When I got home on Friday, I inspected the upstairs office window so I could see how a sparrow had gotten stuck. I'm probably using the wrong technical window terms, but we have double hung windows, and the outside pane has slipped down 6 inches or so, leaving only one pane. Not good for energy efficiency, and an effective trap should any wildlife fall into the space.

When I was looking at the window, a sparrow actually came up to the window and was hovering there for a few minutes, chirping at me! I ran downstairs to get the camera, but he was gone by the time I got back.

Saturday, I was in the kitchen when I heard some loud sparrow chirping. She was perching on a pot my grandparents brought back from a vacation decades ago, looking in my house and chirping!
Then she moved on to a chair we have outside that had tipped over during a wind storm and I haven't yet righted.
Finally, she flew to the table:
I told Thomas I think I have a stalker!

Sunday morning, I was getting ready to go for a run when I heard some loud chirping and the sound of something banging against our window. Another sparrow had gotten caught in our window! I quickly took this picture and then released her.
I think they're trying to build a nest there. We need to fix this, but I couldn't do it alone. Thomas is working nights, and 14 hours at a time, so he hasn't had time to fix it, either. He has a few days off later this week, so we only have to be on sparrow-watch for a few more days.

No comments: