Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Defeating the purpose

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Thomas was gone yesterday. He called me in the evening. I tried to talk to him while sitting in the kitchen, where the greys had followed me. This could not happen, as the instant I picked the phone up, they started demanding my attention. "Up! Up! Come here!" When that didn't work, they started loudly whistling and chirping. Thomas tends to be a bit of a phone-mumbler anyway. After making him repeat himself several times, I enclosed myself in the bathroom.

After a few minutes, I heard Stella having a fit in the kitchen. She had climbed on to the dishrack and was throwing all of my clean dishes (mostly silverware and measuring spoons and cups; I don't think she could lift a plate, although she had lifted a component of Thomas's new French press coffee machine several inches off of the rack) on the floor. I picked her up and brought her into the bathroom with me.

Separated, therefore not egging each other on, combined with Stella being in close proximity to me, I had several minutes of peace.

Then came the knocking.

Max had flown down and started ramming her beak into the door. I tried to ignore her, but I couldn't resist the effort she'd put in to joining her flock. I wanted to reward her ingenuity, so she joined us.

I explained to Thomas what had happened. He said, "Let me get this straight. You went into the bathroom to escape from the greys. Now they're both in there with you. Why are you still in the bathroom then?"

I couldn't come up with a good answer, but we were done with our conversation anyway, so we hung up and then I took this picture. Excuse the messy counter!
After I took the first picture, Stella started chasing Max around. You can see that Max's wings are partly extended -- she flew to the other side of the counter right after this picture was taken.
Shortly after this, it was the parrots' bedtime. Thomas will be home tonight; I'm looking forward to him taking the pressure off of me in terms of having to keep everyone entertained and happy!

No comments: