Thursday, June 25, 2009

Strawberries!

Late June means strawberries at our house. I am so happy right now; is there anything more delicious that a perfectly ripe strawberry?

Thomas had off of work yesterday, so he went picking (in 90 degree weather) and came home with this:Reactions to strawberries in our house are mixed. Max, Daphne, and Beeps want nothing to do with them. However, the other three love them! Calypso didn't want his picture taken, but he ate an entire strawberry.

Rocky and Stella are apparently so dainty that they need their berry to be held for them as they eat:
It's a good thing Thomas is so accommodating to them!

Speaking of 90 degree weather, we ran a 5K yesterday in ridiculous heat. The bank said 96 when we passed it at 6 pm driving to the race and 93 when we passed it at 8 pm driving back home. I was sitting on a picnic table, waiting for the race to start, sweat dripping down my back.

At least the predicted thunderstorms didn't materialize, although I doubt the pounding rain could have made me any wetter than my own sweat.

Despite the punishing heat and a long, steep, hill, I was able to finish in my goal time, which was a pleasant surprise. And I beat Thomas, which also made me happy :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary: How do you keep those strawberries from molding?

Wildbird

Mary said...

WB: I just sent you an e-mail, so let me know if you don't get it.

The short answer is that we eat a lot of strawberries in a short period of time -- they don't have time to get moldy!

If we have any left over after a few days, I'll freeze them for later use in smoothies. The past few years, though, we've managed to eat them all!

Scritches.com said...

Um, isn't it like, you know, dangerous to run around in heat like that?

Remember, if God had wanted us to move that fast she would have given us wheels for feet!

Mary said...

BP - it was certainly unpleasant! Luckily it's cooled down here. I would have had to take more precautions had it been much longer.