Monday, July 27, 2009

Greys

I had to post this picture because of the way they both have cocked their heads.I was at the rescue this weekend. The birds that I talked about here, the ones whose condition made me cry, are doing amazingly well. They want nothing to do with humans (no surprise), but have become very playful. They're healing, filling out, and growing feathers back. When they first came in, none of them was strong enough to perch -- they were forced to be on the bottom of their cage. Now, all of them are perching, and jumping around. There are very few open wounds remaining. If you saw them now, you would have thought I'd exaggerated their condition. It's wonderful how resilient they are! Now, we need to find them homes that will allow them to blossom.

A grey was surrendered last week that reminds me very much of Stella when I first met her. No mutilating, but she has the same terrified look in her eye, and is very plucked. It was so hard not to take her home! They're trying to find a foster home for her, which is what I think she needs to regain her confidence and sense of self.

I truly believe one of the reasons Stella recovered so quickly is because of the presence of Max. Even though they don't physically interact, except while chasing each other around or the occasional attempt at beak wrestling, Stella has picked up almost all of Max's vocalizations, and many of her physical mannerisms. Stella benefited from having a well-adjusted grey to look to while learning how to exist in our house. If only I had the resources (time, space) to do the same for this one.

No comments: