Friday, September 25, 2009

Starving Max

Once again I have photographic proof that we are such poor caretakers of Max, starving her, that she needs to find her own food.

These pictures were taken over the course of two days.

First, pizza day:

The pizza crust is trying to rise, but that can be difficult when a parrot is on the bowl! (Don't worry; there's plastic over the dough so her dirty feet aren't contaminating our food.)
I was tearing the basil leaves off of the stems in order to make pesto for the pizza. Max flew over and started dancing and saying "want some!" I explained that she didn't want basil stems, but she wouldn't give up. She knows her own mind!
Thomas had left the top off of our garlic keeper. Max actually decided to help herself to raw garlic cloves. Garlic cloves!

She is out of control! Will someone please feed this poor parrot?

The next day, we were having salads. I didn't take pictures, but we had our usual fights of Max trying to throw all of the lettuce leaves on the ground and then trying to eat way too much cheese.

I was getting ready to cut up this apple for our salad topping. Max doesn't even like apples! But when she sees one on the cutting board, she has to come over and lick the water off of them:
As I was at the sink, I turned my head and noticed that she was lapping up my dressing base! This is just a mixture of spices and water, marinating until I add vinegar and olive oil. She loved it! But, I figured it probably wasn't a good idea for her to eat a lot of spices, so I removed her shortly after taking this picture:
Finally, I was pouring the olive oil in the dressing base, and she grabbed the olive oil cap and started drinking the oil that stuck in the cap! Who does something like this? It was quite the production, getting the cap back. She even flew with it back to her stand.
If Max spent the day free, as Stella did yesterday, I don't even want to think about what I'd return home to see. She is so very curious!

2 comments:

Scritches.com said...

I guess I'm going to have to report you to the authorities -- starving that poor little bird that way . . . . sigh . . . of course I know you feed your birdies very well, but why do they all act like they've not had food in weeks? Mine are just as pitiful as yours.

Pamela said...

Harley is exactly like Max! Especially the flicking the lettuce around to get to the cheese.