Friday, February 26, 2010

Thursday

I went to the rescue yesterday after work. I got to see and interact with some of my favorite parrots not living with me.

First, as promised, here's a picture of Steve. His mutilation is under his wings, so you can't see it.The rescue has a severe macaw up for adoption, so of course I had him out for a bit. He was just wonderful, snuggling against the crook of my arm, singing, dancing, etc. This is the best picture I could get, as he tries to attack the camera:When I got home, I was so happy to see my own parrots again. As Thomas was preparing dinner, he had Rocky on his shoulder (which is something we rarely do). Somehow, one of Rocky's feathers got turned around. It was like this for about an hour. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore and made Thomas smooth it out.
We had a very pleasant evening together. The more I think about adding another bird to our home, the more I think that the time just isn't right. It kills me to think that I could be doing more, but I need to be fair to our current parrots and to Thomas and me. Things are going really well right now and I worry about upsetting that balance.

In other news, last night was the first night Calypso spent in his cage (instead of the hot box) in almost two months. It worked out really well. No night frights or mutilation. Thomas is just working a half-day today, so we left him in his cage this morning as well. We're hoping to transition him back to his cage permanently.

He absolutely loved his hot box (though he loves his cage, too -- he's very easy to please!) but it will be nice to get it off of our kitchen table!

I can't believe it's the weekend again. I hope that everyone has a nice one! More long running is planned here, so I'm hoping for decent weather.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great news for Calypso! I hope the worst of the hormones is past him this year.

Steve is very handsome. I know it is a tough decision to say no to him right now. Like you, I imagine someday having a small flock of rescued greys all flying about the house.

Don't you think it is the height of empathy that a misplaced feather can make us humans feel uncomfortable?

-Stephanie

Mary said...

Stephanie,

Thanks for the comment! I'm also hoping that the worst has passed. This year was much tougher than any other on both caiques.

I am so pleased that you also want a small flock of rescued greys. I'm really hoping that turns into reality for both of us someday.

:) My parrots are usually so meticulous about their appearance that this one really threw me. I guess their parrot-standards are starting to rub off on me :)

Have a great weekend!

The Homeless Parrot said...

I feel your pain about making the decision and upsetting the balance. I've wanted a dog for so long...but I just can't add another pet to our household. It's finally calmed down (more or less), and I think one more pet would be the tipping point.

belovedparrot said...

I'd love to have five of each species, but alas -- the three I have now are more than enough.