Saturday, December 22, 2012

Winter hiking

I went on a date this afternoon with a man who loves being out in nature as much as I do! His degree is in something nature-related, and he works in the local parks system. As I waited for him to arrive at the park, I was treated to three deer walking by the parking lot:
The sky was so blue today, it almost looked like it could be summer.  If only there were leaves on the trees and no snow on the lookout guardrail!  (Oh, summer, please get here soon!  I am already sick of the cold!)
At least the snow is beautiful:
So gorgeous:
And even more so as the sun began to set:
It was so fun to go out hiking again!  It had been a few months since I'd been out, and I've really missed it.  I have made it a goal for 2013 to spend more time on the trails.  Mr. Nature and I have tentative plans to go out hiking again.

We did see two red-tailed hawks circling and then swooping near us, which was fun.  He's more into plants than birds, but I told him that birds are much more interesting to watch!

It was so refreshing to have delightful conversation, and to be with someone who pleasantly greeted other hikers we encountered.  My new beginning reinforces all that I'd been missing out on this past decade!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This makes me so happy to read. You deserve to be with someone as nice as you.

Anonymous said...

Amazing after all you have been through to put yourself out there, try again, and see the beauty in the world. I truly hope you find the happiness you deserve, and I wish more people could see things as you do.

D. Richard said...

kinda makes you want to throw out the Idiot box entirely ,

D. Richard said...

Let me be the first to wish you a merry Christmas here

Anonymous said...

So glad to read this post. :0) Looking for the toothbrush story now. It does not leave my mind alone. LOL From Barb

Damsel.fly said...

Hello! Just came across your blog today and I just really have to say your posts resonate with me so very much. I was with an emotionally abusive Aperger's man for 5 years. When he picked up my (sweetest ever) cat and threw her across the room in a fit of rage/frustration with me, I knew I had to go. I wanted to tell you I think you are amazing and things do get better. I am now re-married to a man who loves lizards and reptiles as much as I do. So here's the funniest thing of all, now that I am re-married, we have 3 uromastyx (two mali--yellow--and one Sahara--bright red-orange)one 10-month-old Colombian Tegu, a bearded dragon, three turtles and my original two cats. We just lost an 18 year old iguana (my husband's "baby", Iktomi) after a long battle with simple old age, and have a friend's Double-Yellow-Headed Amazon Parrot staying with us for two weeks.

D. Richard said...

Amanda , you cannot post that without telling us if the cat survived

Mary said...

Amanda -- thanks so much for your comment. I am happy that you were able to escape your bad marriage as well!

It always gives me hope when I read about people finding happiness in marriage the second time around.

I loved being married, and I was a great wife. Now I just have to find someone great as well!

Enjoy your parrot guest. With a DYHA, I imagine you are in for two weeks of fun and laughter!

Scritches.com said...

Good for you!!!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Really great Post! I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy. I have a blog on travel theme. If you're interested, we would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Dharm