Thursday, May 15, 2008

Our gardener is not doing his job

Beeps and Rocky both like to garden, although Rocky has mostly left that to Beeps lately. A few days ago, I took some video of him playing in our Christmas cactus (listed here as a safe bird plant, although he doesn't eat it) when the action suddenly turned sinister. He has also almost destroyed another plant we have -- I may post a picture after we get back.

Last night, Rocky stepped up onto my bare arm, which was the first time I had him do that. He was in a really bad mood this morning -- even Thomas had to use a stick with him -- so I didn't try.

I think the birds can sense our impending departure. Last night I was wrapping up Max's pellets so that our birdsitter can have her forage (I usually wrap them as part of my morning routine but want to simplify things for her), and Beeps flew over, intent on attacking me. The last time he bit me was the day of our departure on our last vacation.

Also, our vet got back to us on the lizards' blood work, and he said everything looked fantastic. Elsa has been a bit sluggish lately, so I was worried she may be forming eggs, but he told me that he couldn't feel any forming in her, and her bloodwork didn't indicate that she was in the mood to breed (he said this much more scientifically, of course!) Since they are never together, the eggs would be infertile, but of course I worry about getting egg bound and other reproductive issues.

Finally, I thought I'd post a link to an article on Alex the African Grey and Dr. Irene Pepperberg. I'm trying to catch up on my magazine reading and was pleasantly surprised to see this article last night. It's kind of long, but I thought it was very interesting.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to post tomorrow -- it's the day our flight leaves, so I'll be very busy (I'm still not packed!) -- so I wish everyone a happy week and I'll let you know how the parrots take our absence and return. We're most worried about Kika. We don't want her to feel abandoned just as she's found a new home!

No comments: