Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A few random thoughts

Given what happened over the weekend, I haven't been in a picture-taking mood lately. Here is a picture of Rocky from last May (about 9 months ago) that I don't think I've posted here. He just loves to stretch his wings out and prove to me how big and scary he is!

Max is extremely in tune with my moods, and has been very well-behaved the past few days. Whevener I start crying over Jeff Saturday, she flies over and starts giving me kisses. Daphne also has been quite sad and has not really been playing with her toys. She either solicits additional attention from Thomas and me, or she stays in her cage. I haven't heard her make any happy chirps since Friday.

I know it just takes time to get over any loss. We're still not over the loss of Ethel, and that was almost two years ago.

On a different topic, the snow and cold have been continuing. I don't think I've ever had to cancel so many planned outdoor runs before. I have been forced on to the treadmill by icy and snow-covered roads, and by below-zero temperatures.

On Saturday, we went cross-country skiing (when it was a balmy 30 degrees F). Upon returning to our car, we realized that the parking lot was so ice- and snow-filled that our rear-wheel drive car would only go in reverse! We had to back out the 100 yards or so out of the parking lot. Once we got to the roads, we were luckily able to go forward again. That has never happened to us before, and has got us thinking about purchasing a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

We leave for Madrid on Saturday and can't wait to experience above-freezing temperatures again. My only fear is that we're going to return to a few feet of frozen snow on our driveway. Spring, please come quick!

No comments: