Friday, April 10, 2009

Do sparrows have cell phones?

Thomas had to work last night, which is an 8 pm - 8 am shift. He arrived home this morning as I was getting ready for work.

Before I left, I asked him if he wanted me to unplug the phone. Anyone who really needs to contact us can get me at work and a ringing telephone disrupts his sleep. He declined, and I'm glad he did.

The phone rang around 1 pm, so he'd been sleeping (or attempting to) for around 4 hours. He didn't answer the phone, but it woke him up and he realized he had to use the bathroom.

As he was heading towards the bathroom, he noticed that a sparrow was stuck in our office window and was frantically trying to free herself. He managed to free her and she flew off, apparently uninjured.

He called me to let me know what had happened, starting the conversation by asking me the question in the title. Even if they did, how would they know our number?

I have no idea how a bird could get stuck in our window, and as I was asking him for clarification, he just got frustrated as he thought he was clearly explaining himself (but wasn't due to lack of sleep). He'll have to show me later and we'll make any adjustment to our window that we have to in order to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

What a lucky coincidence that she got stuck in one of the few windows he'd see, that it happened on a day he was home during the day, and that a telemarketer called within the time frame for her life to be saved. It would have been very sad to have discovered her body later today!

I was a bit confused by his question as I thought he was referring to this best of craigslist post about sparrows I forwarded him yesterday. Although I don't share the sentiment of the author, it still made me laugh.

1 comment:

Scritches.com said...

I'm so glad he could release it in time. Didn't any of the parrots notice or do an alarm call?