Wednesday, August 6, 2008

In my pants. Are you jealous?

I took this picture of Stella last night. It's so hard to get good pictures of her, and I really liked this one. All of my parrots like unwrapping things, and she is certainly no exception!

We had another mini harvest from our tomato plants. The red one is a celebrity and the green one (and the one cut up) is a black krim. It was pretty tasty. We have many more out on the vine, so should have a decent harvest soon. I'm hoping to make tomato sauce, but I'll have to stop myself from eating them all first!First, let me say again that we had swept the entire living room when we got home from work, and the parrots had been out for a couple of hours chipping wood and shredding newspaper before I made the following videos. Despite our parrots' best efforts, we do not constantly live in squalor. I must say that I truly didn't understand how messy parrots were until Rocky and Stella joined forces in wood chipping!

As I've mentioned before, I always have to keep a close eye on where Rocky is, especially if I'm going to be walking around. I have to protect myself from the sneak attack! I wanted to get up to refill my glass of water, so I asked Thomas if he knew where Rocky was since I couldn't see him. "In my pants. Are you jealous?" came the response.

Rocky loves chipping wood while hanging out in Thomas's clothes. As it's been a warm summer, he often goes shirtless, so Rocky had to get creative about where he chips.

I was trying to get a video of Rocky emerging from Thomas's shorts, but he knew I was there and refused to go back in. Instead, he had to chip while standing close to Thomas's shorts. The main reason I'm including this video is because of Ms. Nosy hanging out. Of course she had to see what was going on.




Rocky was in fine form last night. Within the past week, we've started playing a new game. Last week, the water bottle was on the floor, and I said to him as he passed by, "don't attack the water bottle!" Of course, he had to go over and attack it immediately. This made me laugh, which made Rocky laugh, and it's something we've done pretty much every night since then. It's all in good fun as he actually doesn't do any harm to the water bottle. Watch how he circles around it with his beak running along the floor and then does a sneak attack.

And this is one of my favorite things that he does. He'll grab a ball or other toy (this is a small plastic top) and throw it around, playing fetch with himself. Sometimes he plays fetch with us, but often he plays by himself, and we occasionally join in, like when Thomas makes the top spin here.


Days like this one make me amazed that he was able to withstand at least 6 years confined to a small cage. He's been with us almost two years (he came to live with us on August 17, 2006) and I am blown away by the personality changes that we've seen during that time.

No comments: