Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More vignettes

The way Thomas's residency is set up, he has some months where he works 80+ hours per week and has to spend nights at the hospital, and other months where he does a rotation in a clinic, which means that he more or less works a normal week of around 40 hours and has weekends off.

August is one of the latter months, and the parrots, especially Rocky, are happy to have him around more! This relaxed schedule means Thomas has had more time to play video games. I'm not sure how he maintains his ability to play when he has a macaw on his arm!

Or on his lap...

I was working on organizing our back bedroom over the weekend. Rocky loves the back bedroom; probably because he's not really allowed to go in there. We keep the door shut at almost all times. I had the door open so I could hear the radio during my organizing. Of course my nemesis/stalker had to come in. He walked right on to the bookshelf as though he owned the place.

I wrote last month that Max was, with greater frequency, chasing Beeps into a corner stand we have in our kitchen. This morning, Calypso also chased Beeps into the corner! You can see that Beeps doesn't seem too distressed by this as he's chipping a wood piece. But we have been carefully monitoring all interactions as we don't want any injuries to occur.

After this incident, they both got another lecture about how they are both caiques and should be friends!This was Max, a few days ago, licking water off of the cherry tomatoes. I think it's great when she perches on the bowls like this.Thomas called to say he'd be a bit late coming home from work, so I had dinner ready instead of waiting until he got home so we could prepare dinner together. With Stella's new found love of flying and getting into trouble on the counter, this was more challenging than it would have been a week ago.

I was on the other side of the kitchen, when I looked up and noticed her throwing lettuce out of Thomas's salad! Then she ate some cheese and, as you can see in this picture, one of his walnuts! Luckily Thomas got home soon after, so we were able to tag team our mischievous parrots.

Also, let me apologize that I haven't had time to go around and visit everyone's blogs recently. I really hope to be able to do so this week. My time has been spent trying to plan our vacation, for which we leave on Saturday. The date has really snuck up on us and we've not done much planning. Eek! I want to make sure we don't miss anything, so I've been spending most of my blog time investigating Washington DC.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

You should come visit us while you are in town!

Scritches.com said...

Your birds are so beautiful Thank you for taking such good care of them.

As to the workshops; we receive a copy of everyone's work before we arrive. There are six folks in each workshop, and each member submitted six pages of poetry -- so we know each other's work. The person sitting to your left is the one who reads your poem aloud, so it's pretty random since you can sit wherever you like during the workshop. It's always very helpful to hear someone else read your work.

And yeah, I'd love to know what parrots think about anything -- other than their favorite treats.

DweezelJazz said...

I love how all the birds are into things. :) Have a great vacation.

Mary said...

Stephanie -- I didn't realize you lived in DC! There is just so much to do there I don't know how we'll only spend one week there.

BP -- that is so interesting about the workshop. I've always wished I got poetry more -- I think I need to give it another shot. I think my problem is that I try to get through them too quickly without taking the time to reflect on the words. I bet you have a huge vocabulary from picking out exactly the right way to express your thoughts through poetry!

DJ -- Thanks! They really do get into so many things. We're definitely at our parrot limit in this house, though. It's hard to keep an eye on everyone, especially when I'm home alone!