Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lentil loaf

A few days ago, Mallow wrote:

Cooked lentils are always a favorite around here. Is your meatloaf recipe from the 'everything vegetarian' cookbook?
It took me a few days to respond since I got sidetracked and ended up not making my lentil loaf until last night and I wanted to post a picture. Of course it's from my favorite cookbook, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman, but I mix things up a bit. He actually has the bean burger recipe here on his website.

In the book, he says how you can turn any veggie burger recipe into a veggie loaf recipe simply by doubling the recipe and putting it in a greased 6 cup loaf pan. Cover the loaf pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 30 minutes.

What I normally do is make the bean burger recipe as linked to above and also make the nut burger recipe from the book and thoroughly mix the two together to make a hybrid nut/bean (in this case, lentil) loaf.

I love it! After the loaf is done, I cut it into five pieces and put them into plastic freezable containers. I freeze them all and take one out and put it in the fridge every night before bed so that I can take it with me to lunch the next day. I don't heat it up, and it doesn't even need any topping.

1 comment:

Mallow said...

Oh yum!
I need to use that cookbook more often! Thanks for the idea of mixing the nut/bean burger recipes.