Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Random bits of parrotness

Why would she choose to perch on my clearly unstable shoe, when there are stable shoes, not to mention, parrot perches, in our house?************************
Yesterday, Andreas's face was peeling in such a way that he looked like a uromastyx Groucho Marx. Unfortunately, the picture didn't turn out at all. But the skin under his nostrils was peeling, as was the skin above his eyes -- result: giant lizard mustache and eyebrows. I peeled them off, he sulked in his hide for a few minutes, and then all was forgotten.

************************
Daphne, my darling 1/2 English, 1/2 American budgie, has joined some of the others in hormonal experiences. She usually comes out of it pretty quickly, at least! She was acting strangely, so I had Thomas take her out for a once-over and determine whether we needed to take her to the vet. Then I realized she acts this way every time she gets hormonal. No need for panic!

Last night, after her once-over, she climbed up to my shoulder and proceeded to preen my cheek. She hit a very ticklish spot as I could not stop laughing. I have to remember to do this with her more often. Since she is undemanding, especially compared to the other parrots, I sometimes have to make an effort to spend quality time with her.

************************
I decided this morning was a good time for some one-on-one time with Calypso (another undemanding parrot who can easily be overlooked). He was the only bird who showered with me, and the only one to share my second breakfast. Here he is, eating a strawberry.
*************************
Earlier this morning, when I was eating my first breakfast, Thomas and I had the greys out. They seem to not need as much dark/quiet/sleep time as the rest of the parrots, so they usually come out earlier than everyone else.

Thomas had the hardest time leaving for work this morning! Every time he'd try to open the door, both greys would fly over, one landing on his head and another on his shoulder. (This didn't pose any safety risk for them since he was entering our attached garage and the garage door was closed). He'd give them kisses, toss them onto stands, and the process repeated itself.

I think it makes him happy to see their outward demonstration of affection for him!

2 comments:

5150 said...

Hi, Mary and crew! Thanks so much for spending the time writing and including pics/videos of your fabulous feathered friends (and fiends). The descriptions are so spot on; brings back very fond memories of my foster parrot/parent days.

Rocky is a keeper, isn't he? No matter how many times you avoid his pitches for pain, he'll still keep trying. A DYA, Rowdy, would do the same to me--beg for head skritches, then go for blood. Too bad for him Amazons have those wonderful pinning pupils as an early warning device for me! :) I was able to skritch until the alarm was sounded.

I've been a vegetarian for 25+ yrs now which came in quite handy with the birds. Never had to wonder if something might not agree with delicate birdie bellies; washed and offered--great menu. (No worries about avocado--they never saw it, I love them that much!)

If you haven't already tried this, it will provide hours of entertainment, guaranteed. Offer boiled (no salt in water, of course) pasta--the skinnier, the better. A strand apiece and watch them have a grand time. The greedies in the group will try to capture both ends at once and, well, it's hilarious.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Mary said...

5150, thanks for such a nice comment!

One of the things I love about the Central/South American species (esp. amazons, macaws, and caiques) is how expressive they are. Rocky tries to pull tricks on me, but his body language betrays his true intentions!

I haven't tried spaghetti pasta with them in years, but I will again soon and post the results of the fun here.

Thanks again!