Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moving on

Thank you to everyone for your good wishes and nice thoughts on our loss of Daphne. It still hasn't completely sunk in; she was such a part of the routine. I keep going to grab her food or water dishes, or to say good night to her. My birdsitter told me that she was the chirpiest she'd ever seen her, and seemed very happy the week we were gone. I don't know if she told me that just to make me feel better, but it does give me hope that she was happy until the end!

The other parrots do not seem to be affected at all by her loss. Perhaps because she was so easy going, and so much smaller than them, they never really considered her as part of their flock. After all, she wasn't taking away too much of our attention!

Max was doing her best to cheer us up last night, drinking from Thomas's ice water:
And this morning, Rocky was so funny. I wish I had this on tape! Thomas had the morning off, so he let Rocky out while we were eating breakfast. Normally, Rocky sits on Thomas's lap, but he didn't want to be there; he kept climbing off and coming by me.

He insisted on being less than an inch from me, wings spread wide. He alternated between saying "Hello Rocky!" and "Gimme a kiss! *kiss kiss kiss*" I think he was trying to get a reaction out of me. Thomas told me to just ignore him to see what he'd do, so he ramped up his cuteness. I tried to ignore him, but I couldn't stop laughing.

I don't know what's gotten into him. He certainly isn't switching his allegiance, but he could very easily have attacked me and he didn't. Maybe he senses my sadness and is trying to cheer me up!

No comments: