Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Garlic adventures

Max was roaming around the kitchen table yesterday when she noticed some garlic that was on the counter, yet within her reach from the table.  She was so excited and quickly grabbed some to destroy:
I'm not sure if she got tired of me taking pictures of her with the garlic, she wanted to show-off, or if it was due to a different reason entirely, but she decided to place the head in our change container.  Notice the other parrot beads that she has placed there recently.  One of the hazards of a parrot that knows the retrieve trick!  Of course, she has done stuff like this before.
But she wasn't done.  As soon as I put the camera away, she ran over, grabbed the garlic, and ran as quickly as she could with it in her beak, jumping on to the back of the chair, where she continued to destroy the garlic.
She just fascinates me.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Parrots find the most interesting toys.

I never thought of letting them play with garlic though, I didn't know it was safe for them if they ate it. I know some foods are not so I am always cautious, and my birds eat everything they can get a hold of.

The Homeless Parrot said...

It's like onion - not necessarily safe, but I don't think anyone knows for sure in parrots. It can cause hemolytic anemia in cats/dogs, so it's probably best to stay away from large amounts in parrots.

bill said...

Hi Mary,
Your blog about the Severe Macaws was right on. My wife and I have had our Severe Macaw since it hatched 19 yrs. ago. He hates me and I can't take it any longer. I would like to find a good place to send it to and they good find new owners. It's a great bird and it would make the right owners very happy. I hate to do this but it's to the point of it's me or the bird.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

Mary said...

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure if you will check here, but I hope so.

I am actually in progress on an entry about living with a bird that hates you. I'm not sure if you're so far gone, or if you might be willing to see if you could work through a solution to try to keep him?

As you might imagine, it is very very hard to find appropriate homes for severe macaws! I know how frustrating it can be, but I could try to help you come up with a workable solution to keep him, if that sounds like something you'd be willing to try!

Please e-mail me at parrotmusings@gmail.com if you'd be willing to try.

Best of luck to you.