We took in Stella and watched her transform from a sad, scared grey to a confident and happy one.
The other new additions to our house were three Australian Rainbowfish that hatched in our tank. Sadly, one of these little guys didn't survive, but the other two are thriving and are so large now it's hard to tell them apart from the fish we purchased a few years back.
I met my revised reading goal of at least 52 books, including one of the best books I've read in a long time (London by Edward Rutherfurd). This isn't the reason why it was one of my favorites, but one of my ancestors is mentioned towards the end of the novel!
I learned how to knit hats, branching out from just making scarves (although scarves dominated my 2008 knitting).
I picked up weightlifting again after a hiatus of about 8 years. Wow! I had considered myself in good shape due to running, but adding strength training really kicked me up a notch. I really recommend this to everyone. The book I used to get started was Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl -- this was the "textbook" for the weightlifting class I took in college.
However, I realize not everyone was as lucky as me. I'm not going to list anyone here -- you know who you are and you are in my thoughts -- but friends of mine, both in "real life" and those I've "met" through this blog, suffered tragic losses this year. The economy divebombed, which has directly affected many of those I care about. Here's hoping that 2009 will be even better!
As for the year ahead, I once again have made a list of goals, separated into categories:
- Not add any new animals to the house
- Teach at least one of the parrots to retrieve
- Build the lizards a new, larger enclosure
- Make something other than a scarf or hat (mittens, perhaps?)
- Complete at least 52 books
- Finish Citizens by Simon Schama (this is an unmet 2008 goal)
- Finish Harry Potter et l'ecole des sorciers (another unmet 2008 goal)
- Run a PR in at least one race this year
- Increase bench press by 15 pounds for 3 sets of 10 (half my weight)
- Run at least 1,362.4 miles (average 26.2/week)
- Organize the office, including all filing
- Experiment with at least 12 new dinner recipes from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
I sincerely wish each and every person who reads this a very Happy New Year! Sorry I haven't been reading blogs of late -- I have an 11/30 year end at work, which means December has been ridiculously busy. I anticipate things slowing down in the near future, when I'll have plenty of time to get caught up!