Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wet caiques

Both of the caiques took baths in their water dishes yesterday. Calypso started first and then Beeps, in true flock fashion, joined in. I love it when they are wet! Here's Calypso:
And Beeps, though I didn't get his head. He kept moving around and I couldn't get a good picture:Calypso always gets hormonal in December, and this year is no exception. Beeps has decided to join in the hormone fun this year, too.

While the caiques usually ignore each other, Beeps has lately been flying over to Calypso's cage and threatening him. Calypso then has to defend himself. Though he never instigates and I therefore think of him as a lover rather than a fighter, Calypso is one scrappy and tough little bird!

On three separate occasions yesterday, I had to break up a ball of caiques. They grab each other's feet and roll around on the ground while trying to beak each other. I've heard that caiques play roughly, so I'm not entirely sure how much of this is serious, but I don't allow it since I don't want any injuries.

One time, I had Calypso on my hand and was bringing him back to his cage from the living room when Beeps jumped him and the two flew in a mass of caiques to the ground to start rolling around.

Extra caique supervision will be taking place in our house until hormones subside!

No comments: